I hope everyone had a very
1. & 2. Piper in her new winter hat and with her favorite gourd.
4. finishing touches
5. 22 weeks preggers & hunting season
6. pork on the hoof (2 months to go till butchering!)
7. patiently waiting for clothes and already getting inspiration from soulemama
8. breakfast (leftover from making my very first turkey)
Piper very much enjoyed watching all the children playing in the water. However, she was not a fan of the icy water, herself and was content to play on the sand just out of reach of the tide.
This was also the first time I’d changed a baby after letting her play in the sand. It’s amazing all the places sand can hide even after you think you’ve wiped it all off! But she had a good time and that’s all that matters. She will sleep good for her mama tonight!
We got my computer this weekend, and being able to blog again really feels like having an old friend back.
Here are some things you’ve missed while I’ve been away!
Our garden has taken off! If you ask him, Joe will tell you that it’s not much, but this garden is quite substantial in comparison to what we’ve had in the past few years. Currently we have growing :
- Indian corn (good for cornmeal!)
- brussel sprouts
- summer squash
- 2 different varieties of melon
- a variety of different herbs
Today we got a new goat, Rosie May, who is currently still in milk! So starting this evening we will be milking 2 goats at once!
I feel enormously blessed in the goat department. From our point of view, Joe and I feel so under prepared and ill equipped to raise these beautiful and generous animals. Over the past year, we lost two goats. One was an unexpected and strange death, and the other was lost to sickness last month. We felt like terrible goat owners for not knowing enough to catch it in time. However, we have been blessed with generous friends who were willing to bless us with replacement goats for the 2 we lost, and we have been plunged into the world of milking!
I have found milking to be one of the most soothing things for me to do. I didn’t think I would enjoy it as much as I do. Our new mother, Belle, is a little feisty in the stand, and we’ve lost a couple of pails of milk due to her either kicking or planting her foot in the bucket, but I have learned to just keep a watch out for the hoof and be faster than her in pulling the pail away. Aside from that, she and her kid are very very sweet.
This month Piper:
- started walking!
- got to go to her first parade for the 4th! She was absolutely fascinated by all the sirens, cars, and marching bands.
- turned 1-year-old last week! She had her first taste of cake and frosting, and she absolutely loved all her gifts!
That’s all for now. I hope to share with you a look at a few things that are exciting me lately, and also hoping to share some big news in the month to come (fingers crossed)!
My baby sister Elizabeth got married at the beginning of this month. The day was absolutely beautiful and the bride couldn’t have possibly been more beautiful. Our prayers for them are for a successful marriage “as long as they both shall live.”
For more photos © David Scannell click here
Just to let everyone know, I have not left this blog intentionally blank. My computer is dead, as in, not holding a charge. I’ve tried a different cord, and that is not the problem. So, until we can get to Portland to bring our computer to be fixed at the mac store, blogging isn’t happening. Today I am posting from my parents computer which isn’t convenient.
(Thrifted Nine & Co. shoes $6.99 and baby Levis sneaks $1.99.)
Lately we / /
- Have gone visiting Joe’s family in Kansas (photos forthcoming).
- Have gone thrifting, yard-saling, and antiquing (there will be more photos, but see my and Piper’s new shoes!?).
- Are getting ready for a Memorial Day weekend – Friday, Saturday, Monday (we don’t work on Sunday) – yard sale. Please contact me on facebook for an address if you’re interested in coming.
- Are planting herbs and veggies and plotting out my herb garden.
- Are taking care of a teething baby who isn’t feeling or napping well this week.
- Are cleaning, cleaning, cleaning!
So until We get our computer back, sorry for the lack of posting.